Makes 10-20 spring rolls, depending on what size you want.
Square spring roll wrappers (keep them under a damp cloth so they don’t dry out!)
A small bowl of corn flour in water (for the “glue”)
A shit load of vegetable oil (definitely not olive oil!)
6: finely chopped: Shiitake mushrooms
a handful: Beansprouts
1/2: finely grated: White cabbage
1: finely grated: Carrot
1 inch: grated: Ginger
1 clove: finely chopped: Garlic
1 tbsp: Oyster sauce
1 tbsp: Light soy sauce
1 tsp: Sesame oil
1. Mix everything together in a large bowl (except the wrappers and corn flour) to make the filling.
2. Lay one wrapper in front of you so that one of the corners is pointing at you.
3. Spoon on the filling and form a cylinder with it about a third of the way up from the corner that’s pointing at you.
4. Roll up the wrapper tightly until you reach half way.
5. Rub some of the corn flour / water mixture onto the corners pointing left and right and fold them neatly in onto the body of the spring roll.
6. Tightly roll the rest of it up, not forgetting to rub some more corn flour / water onto the remaining corner.
Remember you are rolling from the bottom corner to the top corner!
1. Pour oil into a large wok or pot, enough to completely submerge a spring roll.
2. The oil is hot enough when a cube of bread thrown in turns golden brown in 15 seconds. Any more it is not hot enough. Any less it is too hot.
3. Lower the spring rolls in, a few at a time and cook until they are golden brown. This should only be a couple of minutes.
You can substitute the shiitake mushrooms for whatever you think would work – diced pork, chicken, duck, prawns, normal mushrooms?? Dip them in sweet chilli sauce or black rice vinegar.